Forum Home Forum Home > Annual Tasar Events > 2014 Tasar Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hayling Training day 12 April

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Porteous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hayling Training day 12 April
    Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 6:02pm
Jeremy Hawkins and Steve Mitchell have kindly offered to provided a day of tasar coaching at Hayling island sailing club on the 12 April. It is intended to formulate the coaching to suit those that are attending, so we want to hear from you and what you want from the day. The very successful "coach in the boat" session will be on offer, this is where an experienced helm or crew will join you in your boat to help iron out any specific difficulties you may have. With Jeremy and Steve you have a great opportunity to see how past and current tasar Nationals winners get their boats to go!!!! On Sunday if people wish to stay overnight we should be able to join in club racing or do more on our own subject to interest. Further details to follow, please post to let us know what you would like
Margaret Blurton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margaret Blurton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2014 at 8:24pm
Hi Rod, we're coming to the training day and hoping to wangle to stay for the Sunday too.  Also working on our fellow Tasarists at the club.  We'd be mad to miss it! 
Thank you for setting it up,
Cheers 
Margaret and Phil 252 no wait, by then 2305!
Rhys Jones View Drop Down
Associate1
Associate1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2014 at 11:12am
Hi Rod, I hope to be there and to join in on the SUnday racing too.

Best wishes.

Rhys
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 12:09pm
Hi Rod,
Just a quick post to confirm we intend to be there. I think I have already said this on a different thread but I wanted to make sure it was visible on this one. Am also trying to encourage a couple of other tasar's from our club.
Also a note for Jeremy after out chat at the dinghy show. Tried using lots of kicker on the beat in yesterdays windy conditions and it does indeed de-power the main sail big time. Did a race in the strong stuff with one of our clubs top big tough sailors as crew. He was able to adjust the kicker to control the power as we flew up the beat. Not sure Sue is up to that sort of strength but I have advised she get on the bar bells at the gym.
Ian
Associate1
Associate1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 10:30am
Still looking forwards to this. Are there any details yet please?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margaret Blurton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 5:58pm
Hi Rod, We would appreciate any recommends of where to stay etc for the Saturday night of the training weekend.  Also any necessary directions, although don't need that until the last minute.  Looking forward to it,
Cheers,
Margaret
Rod Porteous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Porteous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 8:52pm
Hi Rhys and Margaret

We are suggesting a start at 11:00, boats rigged for this time.

Cost will be on the order of £10 -15 and heavily subsidised by the tasar association

In terms of training schedule, Steve and Jeremy want to assess what people want ie tasar specific boat settings, high, medium and light wind boat settings and tuning, Tasar specific tricks ie pole gybing, tacking in front of traveller etc , or just sailing techniques such as starts, so it would help if you could post what you are looking for. It might be as simple as where should I be sitting in these conditions?

At the start of the day we will review what people want from the day and tailor to your needs and conditions of the day. At the moment we have about six to seven confirmed boats so we can be very specific to individual needs.

We can throw all sorts of challenges at you, big wave surfing, flat water etc. All with rescue coach boat. It's a really great opportunity to gain access to years of tasaring experience. Steve has a huge knowledge of tasar tricks relating to specific conditions that can transform your boat speed, Jeremy has heaps of sailing experience and is brilliant at tactics, and the mind games of side of racing . It will be a powerful combination and FUN.

We will also do a coach in the boat session which is a great way to learn first hand from the tasar experts

Subject to numbers we are intending to host a social at our house Saturday evening with the opportunity for those that wish to join club racing on Sunday to put into practice all the lessons learnt. For Sunday you will have to pay a day sailing fee and I will attempt to negotiate a reduced fee for this, normal rate i am afraid is circa £20

Margaret , I can sort some accommodation with fellow tasar club sailors , can you give me a ring to discuss on

02392 460746

Please post for any more information required

Regards and look forward to seeing you all

Rod

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margaret Blurton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 9:04am
Hi Rod, 
Thanks for that.  We're not sure what to ask for in terms of training - we want it ALL!  I think to begin with it would be fab if Phil and I could just sail around a bit, for example beating up to a mark, reaching etc with someone watching like a hawk to see what seems to be obvious things that we could improve.  Coach in the boat sounds great too.  Can't think of anything we don't want to improve on.  
Then as you say we can try it all out on the Sunday.
I'll ring you about accommodation.
See you then,
Margaret
Associate1
Associate1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 12:17pm
Hi Rod,

I'd like advice on setting the boat up, rig tension and rake etc. Sail trim and using the controls. Also correct tacking and gybing tecnique please. so - pretty much everything :-)
kking View Drop Down
Associate1
Associate1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 7:54am
Hi, having sweet-talked the wife, I would like to attend the Hayling Island training day with Dave Coulson  on 12th April. I'm quite new to Tasars, and my boat is old (1097) so any advice will be gratefully received. 
Yours, K King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Porteous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 9:09pm
Thanks Rhys and k king, we can certainly pick all these things up.
Rod

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Porteous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 11:07am
Hi Margaret

Accomodation sorted for you . I dont have an e mail or phone number for you, if you want details can you phone me or we can sort on the day.

regards

Rod

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margaret Blurton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 3:17pm
Rod that's great, thank you.  I did email you but maybe got address wrong.  I'll ring.  
Cheers,  Margaret

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Porteous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 12:38pm
All

weather is looking good for training on Saturday, SW 8- 12 Knots . If we get some sun it may see a bit of a sea breeze raise this a little.

The water is still only around 10 degrees so bring appropriate warm clothing including a hat!!

I will continue updates as the weekend approaches and ;look forward to seeing you all

regards

Rod
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 5:31pm
Yipeee some decent weather for a Tasar event. 
Sue and I are walking in the South Downs on Friday, so we should be around early enough to get in some pre practice at the HISC bacon roll and coffee counter on Saturday morning.
Rod, is there anything we should bring for the Saturday evening shindig ?

Ian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Porteous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 8:54pm
The South Downs is our cycling haunt just fantastic views have a great day, you are welcome to park up ion Friday, Steve is coming up on Friday , just let us know.

Just bring some alcohol if you drink!

Regards
Rod

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Porteous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 8:40am
All

Wind is forecast for 7 -15 Knots building to the 15 steadily through the day. This may get locally increased , so perfect wind for training

look forward to seeing you all Saturday rigged for11:00

Steve and I will be in the boat park  early to help those that may want basic rig settings checked over

Regards

Rod

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margaret Blurton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 1:54pm
Just a quick but large THANK YOU to Rod for organising the training weekend.  Overall he managed to come up with pretty good weather, well done!  And to Pauline for her delicious dinner on Saturday night.

Also of course thank you to Steve for his expert input, and for sitting extensively in our boat pointing out ways we can improve.  Both of us have come away with food for thought.

And thank you to Tessa and Nick who put us up so comfortably.

We had a great weekend, although got stuck on the A27 going home, and will let you know how we get on in our Easter Regatta!

Margaret and Phil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margaret Blurton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 6:44pm
OK who is this Pauline I was thanking?  Maureen, I'm so sorry, it's the kind of thing I do but wish it were not.  It was a lovely dinner.
Tessa Lancaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tessa Lancaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 8:29am
Thanks Rod and Steve for organising the training day, it was very enjoyable and gave us food for thought.   Speaking of food the social on Saturday evening was great.

Nick and Tessa
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 8:30pm
Spoke to Keith and Dave today and wish to pass on all our thanks for a cracking weekend. Special praise for the catering at the Hayling campsite. Must remember to fill in the new CL report form. Access a bit tight...
Is there a new thread for Porthpean event ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic