Forum Home Forum Home > Annual Tasar Events > 2014 Tasar Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round sheppy island race 30 August

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Porteous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Round sheppy island race 30 August
    Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 7:00pm
This is a great fun race, a 40 mile circumnavigation of the island including ducking under the local bridge.

A number of years ago we did it coming third to a fireball and international canoe, given a windy day the tasar can do very well

A number of people have expressed interest and hope they will shortly post to confirm.

We will definitely commit if two other Tasars sign up
edcross View Drop Down
Associate1
Associate1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edcross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 12:24pm
Hi Rod
Sorry it has taken me so long to post.  There are 3 Tasars at Sheffield Viking sailing club in Sheffield and we are intending to take them all down to Sheppy. 
We will probably come down on Friday night and leave again after the race on Saturday - assuming a reasonable rounding time.
The only proviso would be that if it looked like a no wind situation we may not make the trip but we will keep posting.
Our boats are 1226 (this boat already knows the way around from 2008) 1172 and 2???.  Looking forward to sailing in a fleet!
Edmund 1226
Rod Porteous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Porteous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 8:35pm
I know its early days for Saturdays Round Sheppy race, but at the moment it's looking like about 16 knots perfect for the tasar .At the moment we still intend to do the event, but still subject to wind, any other takers?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 6:51pm
We are up for it as of Wednesday evening. Subject to wind and rain check on Friday.
I cant find any details on the IOSheppeySC web site but yachts and yachting says our start time would be 11:30
How long do you think it will take to do the race in the current wind predictions Rod ?
Ian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Porteous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 9:01pm
The details are difficult to find! But on "isle of sheppy sailing club " web site, 11:30 start,£30 entry fee.
Not sure how long last time. In 18 knots we were back late pm so it's a full days sail. Need to take food and drink to keep energy up . We will not do it if forecast is less than 12 knots. I see an icon is doing it so would be interesting to race against . Suggest we touch base Friday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Porteous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 4:49pm
Forecast looking very good, packing boat up tonight 99% sure we are going

A great and unique event

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Porteous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 5:40pm
Great news three boats confirmed coming from Sheffield Viking sailing club plus us and Ian and Sue five total

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 9:20pm
Results are out.
Rod you came 9th and we were 16th. The sheffield team were 29, 30 and 32. Out of 86 boats entered I dont think thats bad for any of us. Especially as the bridge fiasco makes a bit of a mockery of it as a real race.
Good fun though. My legs are still hurting from the leaning out up that beat. I was telling the guys at the club today, the race is 10miles of run and reach followed by 10 miles of beat and 10 miles of reach. They thought that was rather a long time between tea stops.
Ian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Porteous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 8:52am
Ian

The bridge does make it a farse, last time we did the race we landed on the bridge beach walked the boat through taking about a minute, this time  we crashed and banged around  the pontoon got trapped behind about six cats and took nearly 20 mins, i wonder how long the osprey got stopped!!

We were third in the fast handicap fleet with you 7th so not bad being beaten by an Osprey and Alto who must have creamed the last 10 miles in the failing wind

great turn out of  5 tasars who all gave the boat a good showing and importantly we beat the ICONS !!!

The event is a bit like the Bloody mary a bit of fun and mustnt take the results too serioulsy, you either like it or never do it again!!!

we will have to promote it again next year, but we have allready said its a 14Knot plus race , four hours is plenty enough, ran out of food and water!!

i am writing a Tasar Vs Icon text for the IOS race for Yachts and Yachting, keep an eye open for the post under Icon Vs Tasar

Regards
Rod
Margaret Blurton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margaret Blurton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2014 at 11:02am
We like the look of the race, and would have come along if we hadn't had to stay at home to help with our Laser Open !!?!  And our buddies thought it looked fun too, bridge and all.  So there might be two Hastings tasars next year.  How soon do the dates come out?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Porteous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2014 at 1:20pm
Thats good to hear,   I am not sure when the dates are published, thgis yaer i picked it up in around April and posted it here.

best to keep an eye on the Isle of Sheppy sailing club web site

Rod
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic